Here’s a quick way to track clicks on your business phone number on your mobile website with Google Tag Manager. You can use the tracking to create a goal in GA, and also connect AdWords conversion tracking to this action, if you run AdWords ads and want to track clicks on your phone number on your mobile website. This feature only tracks clicks on your phone number, not actual phone calls.
For complete call tracking solution, take a look at CallRail and my article about 3 Reasons Why the Free AdWords Call Tracking is not Right for Your Business.
Open your website, right-click the phone number and select Inspect Element.
If you want your visitors to able to tab the number and automatically dial it when on a mobile device, the number should be wrapped in an <a href> tag with tel extension, like below:
All we have to do in Google Tag Manager is create a simple Event tag with trigger link clicks on this element.
1. Start creating a new tag by clicking the New button.
2. Give it a name and select Google Analytics – Universal Analytics.
3. Type your tracking ID, or if you have a constant variable for your GA ID, select it and choose track type Event.
4. I’ve named the event category Phone calls, for Action I’d like to see the actual link being clicked (useful if you have different numbers) and as Label I want to see from which page the number was clicked.
5. Now it’s time to create our trigger. In the Fire On section select Click and start a new trigger. Give it a name and select Just links. Enable on all pages if you have the number in a common area like header or footer: Page URL matches RegEx .*
And for the Fire On section select the special tel link we want to track: Click URL contains tel:
6. Create your tag, enter Preview and Debug mode and test your tracking by clicking on the phone number.
7. If you want to add AdWords Phone calls tracking of type Clicks on your number on your mobile website, you can use the same trigger. First create your conversion tracking in the AdWords interface as described in Part 1 here.
Then create a new tag of type AdWords Conversion tracking, copy and paste your Conversion ID and Conversion Label, and for the Fire On section select the existing trigger for Phone call clicks.
P.S. Got a Google Analytics question? Send it to me and I’ll try to answer it on the blog.